Thursday, September 29, 2016

Chap 1-Lesson 4—Values Formation and You

Education in values means the cultivation of affectivity, leading the educand through exposure to an experience of value and of the valuable.---- R. Aquino

I learned that the values that are unchanging, universal, and remains a value despite no one values them are called transcendent values. And this transcendent value is where values formation begins. I also learned that the value formation of a teacher has three dimensions, wherein just knowing the value is not enough but as well as appreciate and live with it.

I realize that our value formation is a training of our will and intellect. For this reason, life circumstances serve as annoying challenger to us whether we can stand firmly to our values or not. I reflect that sometimes when facing conflicts, I honestly had a hard time choosing the just decision, particularly if that decision will put me in tough situation. I also did realize about the logic behind what St. Thomas Aquinas said; “the intellect proposes and the will disposes.” When you are already aware on something that is bad, then that is simply not good. Therefore proceed to your fullest to avoid it. Moreover, to become a responsible individual, we must practice doing the right thing, make it a habit, and never fall into temptation. With that, we can live a virtuous life.


As a future teacher, to become a role model to my future students, I must follow the sequence of Max Scheler’s hierarchy of values. I should use my skills, talent, and knowledge to help others, to render my service selflessly and compassionately. I ought not to use my God-given capabilities to degrade others but use it according to God’s purpose.

6 comments: